Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lip Balm - Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters

I first learned of the Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters from a haul video (I'm not exactly sure whose) on Youtube some time in December. I would have headed out and gotten my own immediately, but unfortunately, they weren't available at the Revlon counter at the department store I frequent. The saleslady told me they'd yet to release the product in the Philippines. Bummed out over having gone all the way to the mall and having nothing to show for it, I went home.

Last Sunday, after mass, my grandmother, my mother and I decided to walk through the beauty section of that same department store to see if there was anything worth getting. Lo and behold! Proudly displayed on the Revlon counter, in an array of colors tagged with red stickers that read "NEW" on the covers, were the Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters.


I would have loved to splurge and dump as many colors as I could into my shopping cart. Sadly, it was not to be. They cost PHP525 each. Being a full-time student, that is just a little out of my price range for a lip balm. I ended up getting one anyway. Thankfully, my mother, dear that she is, bought two more. They're not mine, but at least I'll have access to them. I got one in the shade Creamsicle while she bought ones marked Raspberry Pie and Sugar Plum.

L-R: Creamsicle, Raspberry Pie and Sugar Plum

Considering that I was working with lip balms, I didn't expect the colors to be too pigmented. I was right. The one I got, Creamsicle, barely showed when I swatched it on the back of my hand. However, when I applied it to my lips, it left a frosted peach color that I found pretty. The one in Raspberry Pie came out darker than I thought it would, both on the back of my hand and on my lips. I mean that in the best possible way. The last shade, Sugar Plum, looked close to Raspberry Pie when I swatched it but turned out to be the most natural-looking among the three when I applied it to my lips.

Swatches are lined in the same order.

Now, I bite my nails and pull at my lips a lot. They're bad habits that I don't seem strong enough to break. They leave my lips dry and chapped. I try my best to keep them moisturized with different products but the effect never lasts. I was hoping the lip butters would remedy that. After all, the Revlon website says 94% of women claim their lips were softer, smoother, and instantly hydrated.

No make-up

Creamsicle

Raspberry Pie

Sugarplum

So, do the Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters achieve what they claim? Ultimately, yes, they do. My lips were soft and smooth on the day I decided to put them on. The pretty colors also kept me from biting my nails. This is a plus I'm sure only those who do the same can appreciate. However, there are several other lip balms that will do the same for a lot less than PHP525.

I'm glad I got to try the Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters, but I probably won't get them again. For something that should work as a lip balm, they are just too expensive. Spending PHP525 (more than my weekly allowance) would just be impractical. If you can afford it, then I suggest you give it a try. If not, there are a lot of alternatives you can look to for soft, smooth and hydrated lips.

I hope this helps those who are looking to get this product.

'til next time,
Maite

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Send me a link if you decide to give it a try. I'd love to see a swatch. :)

      Delete